Monday, July 8, 2013

Read This Book!!

 This weekend I borrowed my boss' copy of Steal Like an Artist, by Austin Kleon. It's a fabulous book! In it, writer and artist Kleon gives advice on how to tap into your creativity, find your artistic voice, and get your work into the world. Kleon offers ten jumping-off points to quell the voice of your inner critic and get you to make stuff.

First he points out that NOTHING IS ORIGINAL, and that every new piece of art is a remix of old ideas. You just need to find the best stuff to put together in a conglomeration that speaks in your voice. Do research. Devour other people's work. Build an artistic ancestry.

Later he talks about the importance of unplugging and working with your hands. He shares a picture of his office, which has a digital area for final editing and sharing with the world, as well as an analog area where he can draw and play and listen to the music of the marker squeaking on the paper. Along the same lines, he talks about the importance of hobbies; that your work is for others and your hobbies are for you. Those hobbies feed your creative spirit and nourish the areas of your life in which you make the money.

Kleon talks about networking in the digital neighborhood and being a mentee. My favorite quote in the whole book is from this section: "If you ever find that you're the most talented person in the room, you need to find a new room."





My favorite page from the book is pictured above. This is my new manifesto. Curiosity, kindness, stamina, and a willingness to look stupid. I've got all that stuff!!

So buy this book. Borrow this book. Get this book from the library. Read this book. It will take you less than an afternoon. And it's worth it. And now I want more than ever to visit Kleon's place of residence, Austin, Texas.

That's the news for now, darlings. Oh! Except that my Habibi took me to Lincoln Park Zoo for my birthday and we saw this
and it made me laugh really hard. Come to the Stitch 'n' Bitch at the Glenwood tonight, 7-??. Bring a craft. And until next time, as always, Peace, (radical) Love, and Yarn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment