Monday, November 4, 2013

Let's Get Moving!

"What you want is on the other side of fear."
                                                                     -- Jack Canfield

Yesterday morning, four of my friends that I met through Lyric Opera ran a 5k. I've always said that I only run when I'm being chased, but seeing Facebook posts from Linda, John, Alejandra, and Evan got me thinking that, in light of my recent twenty-pound weight loss and my desire to step up my physical activity,  I might be ready to start training for my very own 5k.

I had heard about a training program called Couch to 5K (C25K), so I Googled it. It's through a website called Cool Running. No, not like the movie about the Jamaican bobsledding team!! I read through the C25K plan and decided that I'd give it a try. It's a nine-week program; three training sessions a week, starting relatively slowly with a five-minute walk to warm up, followed by twenty minutes of intervals of 60 seconds jogging and 90 seconds walking. I'm starting training this very afternoon!

I posted on Facebook last night about my intent to start training and my friends who inspired me. Alejandra commented that I should let her know which 5k I decided to run so she could be there rooting me on. So I Googled Chicago 5k 2014 and found the Warm Your Heart 5k, an indoor single loop run at McCormick Place on February 23. So this is my goal. I am now a runner. Well, a jogger! Start small!!

That's all the news for now! I'll be at the G & L Tavern this evening for some stitching, bitching, and Bears football. You should come by too -- the bartender is ADORABLE!! And I'll be at R Public House on Wednesday at 7:00 for Eat, Drink and Be Crafty!! Until next time, my darlings, Peace, (radical) Love, and Yarn! XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment