Thursday, January 7, 2016

Stitchin' and Bitchin'

Hi, sweeties! Happy Thursday! I hope you're all kicking major butt in your chosen endeavors in 2016.

Tonight is the first Stitch 'n' Bitch of the New Year. People are often very curious about the term Stitch 'n' Bitch. No, we're not a bunch of bitter old broads sitting around and knitting our enemies' names into our work like Madame Defarge. We do a lot more laughing than bitching, actually. It rhymes, friends! It just rhymes! No, I didn't make it up. Debbie Stoller has a series of knitting and crocheting books called Stitch 'n' Bitch. So I lovingly appropriated the term. Yes, we will teach or advise if you've always wanted to learn to knit or crochet, or if you're a neophyte and need some guidance on a project. No, you don't have to knit or crochet to hang with us. We don't discriminate. People draw, fold origami, do bookbinding, quilt, cross-stitch, or just sit and chat. All of these things are totally acceptable.

Years ago, when I started my Stitch 'n' Bitches, it was just my beloved Matt Andersen and me working diligently on our projects. Matt is deaf, so he can't talk while he knits or crochets -- he must choose one or the other! So when other hearing people joined our merry band, they were surprised at how quiet our Stitch 'n' Bitch was. I had just grown accustomed to stitching in silence. (People who know me well are laughing at the prospect of me doing ANYTHING in silence!) On the rare occasions when Matt is able to join us, I do a LOT more bitching than stitching. In sign language, of course!!

Tonight's festivities are at Rogers Park Social, 6920 N. Glenwood. The merriment begins at 7:00. Please feel free to join us if you're in the neighborhood!

Here's a picture of my very talented friend Victoria and me crocheting at the Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest in August.
That's the news for now, my darlings! We'll see you at Social if you're able. Until next time, Peace, Love, and Yarn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment