Thursday, December 1, 2011

Craft War

With the holidays upon us, the first thing a lot of crafters think about is... WAR!!

It all started a couple of months ago, when I started the Glenwood Stitch 'n' Bitch about the same time that intrepid comic book store owner Sparky Bobby King started the Evil Squirrel Comics Knit Night. Both on Thursday, both at 7:00 pm. Well, being the friendliest of Thursday night adversaries, Mr. King suggested that we have a Holiday Craft War. Neither of us knew at that point what that might entail, but it sounded awesome! We decided to ruminate on what a Craft War could possibly consist of. I turned to my very brilliant and creative friend, Wally Andersen. "Wally," I said, "Evil Squirrel wants to have a Craft War with us, but neither they nor we know exactly what a Craft War is. Do you know?"

Wally, thinking for all of ten seconds (I told you he's a genius!) said that we should have each team knit or crochet as many scarves as possible in a three-hour period, and the winning faction buys the losing faction a round of shots, and the scarves could be donated to charity. How brilliant is Wally??

So I took this idea to Team Evil Squirrel. They loved it as much as I did! And we agreed on
Emmaus Ministries as our charity. Emmaus reaches out to male prostitutes, predominantly in the Lakeview and Uptown neighborhoods. The offer of a scarf is a nice introduction for the outreach team members in talking to these fellows. Please click on the link above and learn about their wonderful ministry.



The Glenwood vs. Evil Squirrel Craft War is happening on Thursday, December 15, 6:00-9:00 pm, at the Glenwood Bar, 6962 N. Glenwood Avenue. Limit 20 crafters per team, so get in touch with the Team Captain of your choice ASAP!!

And, as always, Peace, Love and Yarn, my friends!












These are a couple of my most recent scarves, in the crochet pattern I'm going to recommend for the Craft War!

No comments:

Post a Comment