Saturday, December 31, 2011

Yarn Geeks Before Sunrise

I had a very interesting morning yesterday. My alarm went off at 6:00 am (I wasn't even aware there was a 6:00 am!) and I dragged tail out of bed so that I could get myself and my yarn bag to Evil Squirrel Comics for the WGN News Around Town feature. Shawn King is trying everything in his power to raise awareness and funds to keep his shop open. He's a real commodity in the neighborhood, with his free movie afternoons and free game nights and the like, but in this economy, people aren't able to spend as much on things like comic books. So when he asked me if I'd crochet on TV for him, how could I say no? Plus, he was providing "coffee and treats"! Being a big fan of Shawn, being on TV, coffee and treats, I intrepidly agreed to get up before the sun.

I was delighted to see that the WGN cast and crew was there by the time I got to the shop at 6:30. They started doing live feed of short segments around 7:00. Shawn informed us that we crafters in the back would be featured at 8:30. Coffee, treats, stitch; coffee, treats, stitch; Johnny Barr and Rico make racy jokes; coffee, treats, stitch. And then it was our turn. Ana Belaval was intrigued with Rico and his tattoos that read "Knit" and "Crochet", so that was the high point of the interview. It was a fun experience, and the phone at the shop rang quite a bit after each segment, so hopefully we did some good.

FYI, I was back in bed by 9:30 AM!! Happy New Year, everyone! First post of 2012 goes up on Thursday! Peace, love and yarn!!

1 comment:

  1. You are too cute! Peace, love and yarn? Love you Box!

    ReplyDelete