Thursday, March 22, 2012

Summer Crochet Ideas

Lots of people think that crocheting is just a cold weather activity. This couldn't be further from the truth! If you think I'm making this up, Google "crochet bikini" (special message to my mom: please don't Google "crochet bikini". Some of the pictures might upset you!!).

You can crochet all sorts of stuff with sport weight or cotton yarn in the summer. You can make lightweight lacy tops, handbags, shopping bags, hats, shawls -- I just finished a GORGEOUS one in a beautiful shade of turquoise with an iridescent thread. And don't forget Amigurumi, the adorable Japanese crocheted stuffed toys. You can do a Google Image Search for that, Mom!

Did you know you can crochet jewelry? You can! I have several patterns for bracelets and necklaces, and just saw some cute crocheted earrings!

I also like to crochet dish cloths with Lilies and Cream yarn. They're easy, portable, and quick, and they will scrub egg and cheese off of your dishes without scratching. They're also durable -- my mom's got some from the late '70s, I believe.

So don't give up your crocheting just because the snow isn't flying. There's always something adorable you can make! Peace, love and yarn, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment