Thursday, June 6, 2013

Herrschners Afghan Contest, or Timing is Everything

Through one of the bazillion crochet pages I follow on Facebook, I saw a link for the Herrschners Afghan Contest. I was so excited! I've become the self-proclaimed Princess of the Baby Blanket in recent months, and here was my chance to show the world -- or at least the fine people at Herrschners -- and win some cash money, as well as fame and notoriety and the acclaim of my stitching peers! Darlings, I was READY to compete!

And then I clicked on the link to the contest information and saw the entry deadline. Entry forms must be received by June 15. Afghans must be received by July 15. I'll be in the thick of the Arts Camp Teaching season, and I'm planning to move residences at the end of June. It would appear that my life is much too chaotic to add in the pressure of creating an award-winning afghan. Alas.

I really enjoyed reading Herrschners' Tips for a Winning Afghan.
  • Avoid mixed dye lots in your afghan.
  • Take all steps necessary to keep your afghan clean and free of lint or hair.
  • Make sure your afghan has nicely squared edges and evenly worked borders – this shows off your stitching and designing abilities.
  • Use a hook or needle size that creates an afghan with body and a nice drape. A gauge that is too loose makes an afghan limp; gauge that is too tight makes an afghan stiff. Make a gauge swatch to test how the finished afghan will feel, and choose a hook or needle size accordingly.
  • Chose colors that reflect today’s decorating styles, colors that coordinate pleasingly or add to your design.
  • Choose a size appropriate to your category. The size must be useable for the purpose intended. If you are making a large counterpane style afghan, bedspread size is appropriate. On the other end of the spectrum, if you are making a baby afghan, a size that comfortably covers an infant or toddler is appropriate. We look for afghans that people will love making AND using.
They gave me a warm, cozy feeling, kind of like reading a small-town newspaper. I like that feeling. It's like a hug from a favorite aunt.

Last year's winning entries are absolutely gorgeous! Do yourself a favor and take a look at them. As for me, I will be dreaming up designs for next year's Herrschners Afghan Contest when I'm not preparing for Crafters Camp and Princess Camp or cleaning, sorting, and packing for a move!

Tonight is an abbreviated Knit/Crochet Night at Squiggly's. I'll be there for an hour or so, encouraging people to make squares for Windy Knitty's Oklahoma Project. Deadline for squares is next Thursday, June 13. Until next time, my darlings, Peace, (radical) Love, and Yarn!!


No comments:

Post a Comment