Thursday, June 20, 2013

Neuro Knitting

Darlings, people send me the coolest things! For example, just yesterday, my friend Eric Paige, a local artist, sent me this picture of a Mini Cooper that has been expertly yarn-bombed.

On Tuesday, my cousin Beth Lau, creative genius and fellow crocheter, sent me a link to an article on the website for KDFC, the San Francisco Bay area classical music station. This article was about Neuro Knitting. It seems visual artists Varvara Guljajeva and Mar Canet teamed up with a science-y kind of music guy, Sebastian Maella, who studies Brain Tangible User Interfaces with the Music Technology Group in Barcelona (Please pronounce it "Barthelona". Let's be proper globe-trotters and use the Castilian pronunciation. Thank you.) got together and came up with this awesome project. In the video, they hooked Sr. Guljajeva up to a non-invasive EEG headset which was connected to a knitting loom. The EEG measured his brain waves while he listened to music. In this case, they used Bach's Goldberg Variations. The knitting loom then facilitated the embodiment of those brain waves into a scarf pattern. The mind reels! This is brilliant!

Here's a picture of Sr. Guljajeva on the left in his scarf and another gentleman (my research leads me to believe it is NOT Sr. Canet) in his scarf on the right. Purportedly they listened to the same piece of music. Look at the difference in the scarves!

I would like to participate in this project. I would like my scarf to be made of my brain waves when listening to Blondie's Parallel Lives album. I would wear that scarf proudly.

Thanks to my brilliant cousin Beth for making me aware of this slice of awesomeness! That's all the news for now. Knit Night at Squiggly's is cancelled tonight because Rico is not feeling well. Until next time, my angels, Peace, (radical) Love, and Yarn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment