Monday, April 29, 2013

Another Opening, Another Show

Today is my first rehearsal for "Oklahoma!" at Lyric Opera. Every first rehearsal has a First Day Of School feel to it, which I really enjoy. Our call time is 9:00 am this morning, so last night I set my alarm for 7:00 am, a time I consider The Middle Of The Night, and went to bed at 11:30.

I awoke in an uncharacteristically chipper mood with "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" on my lips (of course I sing the alternate lyrics: "There's a bright golden haze on Jayne Meadows") -- I know!! I woke up all Disney Princess-y!! It's so not like me, but the truth is that I really, really love my job!!

Of course I had to bring yarn to work. It's my job at the Lyric that brought about my passion for crocheting. When I started at the Lyric, I knew there would be substantial downtime. I quickly learned that books were not the best pastime for me at the opera because I don't like to stop reading mid-paragraph. And magazines are expensive. So I thought rekindling my childhood crocheting skills would be just the thing. I brought yarn to the second opera I dressed and haven't been without it at the opera house since! Today I brought yarn to make a lightweight infinity scarf, my new favorite all-season neck flair. I also brought yarn to make a small crossbody handbag like the one I wear backstage. And I threw in a special project I'm working on for Habibi. He's adorable and deserves many special things!!

"Oklahoma!" opens at Lyric on Saturday and runs through May 19, with a possible extension through the 26th. It's a beautiful production! Every attempt should be made to see it! No, I can't get you free tickets!!

Tonight is the Stitch 'n' Bitch at the Glenwood. I hope to see you there. Until next time, my darlings, Peace, Love and Yarn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment